Hello and welcome to The Old Summers Home. This post is rather different than what we normally do around here but I’m really excited to have this opportunity to share a different side of me. I have been nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award, EEK!
A huge thank you to Erin over at The DIY Nuts for the nomination! If you love our DIY posts I’m sure you will love Erin’s too! She has so many great tutorials that I just love!
It’s an honour to be viewed as an inspiring blogger by my blogging peers, I’m very humbled by the nomination and it makes me want to work harder and give more back. Thank you so very much.
So, what’s this Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award is an award that a fellow blogger passes on to another blogger who has inspired them and shown creativity. The award is for bloggers who bring some sunshine to the blogging world. Nominations are a great way to keep us motivated and it’s an amazing reminder of all the good work we see our fellow bloggers doing.
The Sunshine Blogger Award Criteria
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions your nominating blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 other blogs to receive the award.
- Write your own 11 questions for your nominees to answer.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
- Let the bloggers you nominated know you did so via social media.
My answers for this Nomination
1) When did you start blogging?
I launched my blog in January. I’ve always loved to write and DIY and share with my friends. Maybe they were getting tired of me sending them hundreds of photos every week haha. They were very encouraging that I should start a blog and I took their advice and started The Old Summers Home.
2) What is the biggest lesson you have learned as a blogger?
I have learned that no matter how much you think you know and how perfect you think you have things set up you are going to learn something new and changing tomorrow hahaha. Building a website has been quite the challenge. I’m much better building wooden projects hahaha.
3) If you could tell your younger self one thing, what would it be?
Hmmm this is a tough one… find what makes you happy and run with it. No dream is too big with enough ambition behind it!
4) Who do you look up to? Why?
Ohhhh I have so many people I look up to. I think it would be too hard to pick just one. I’ll include my biggest inspiring bloggers in my nominee selection below!
5) What is one of the happiest moments in your life?
Our wedding day. It was small, just the five of us and two witnesses and the commissioner. No drama, just love.
6) What other hobbies do you have?
I used to be a seamstress but lost my passion. I’m just gaining that back making things for our own home now.
I have a silhouette cameo and I love to make apparel; it’s by far my favourite thing to do with my cutting machine.
Long ago before I had children I loved to paint on canvas. One day I hope to do that again.
I also love to read. There’s nothing that beats a good novel or sharing a story with my girls.
Oh and also cooking! I love to feed my family hahaha. Somedays I go on cooking sprees and spend anywhere from 4 to 6 hours cooking up new creations.
7) What does your favorite Saturday night look like?
Oh gosh, I wake up early every morning so my Saturday night, as well as most nights, I can be found on the couch or in bed watching some Netflix until I doze off to sleep. My productivity has worn off hours ago haha.
8) Wine, coffee or sparkling water (or none)?
COFFEE!!!! I can almost always be found with a coffee in my hand. Even when I go to the hardware store to look for inspiration hahaha.
9) What is your favorite meal? Why?
I have so many favourites… I suppose my roast beef with Yorkshire pudding would be my favourite because my entire family loves it. They all get so excited when they see me getting started. Good food with family makes every meal my favourite.
10) Describe something you love about yourself.
I love that I can see potential and have the know how to do things. Sometimes I shock myself when I envision something in my head, throw it on paper and just go for it. I love nothing more than creating something even better than what I had pictured in my own head. Our mudroom bench was a collaboration of ideas I had seen on Pinterest and in magazines. I envisioned what I wanted in my head, and it turned out even better than I had hoped for.
11) What is your life message or lesson in 8 words or less?
Make the most out of every single day!
My Nominees for the Sunshine Blogger Award!
I really love the idea of this award and I wanted to tell you a bit more about each of the nominees I have chosen. (Don’t worry, when you make your own post you do not need to do this I just thought I would share some extra love.)
- Sasha from Everyday She’s Sparkling – I’m so grateful I found Sasha’s blog and her amazing facebook group (Blogging Babes Collective) when I was trying to learn how to start a blog. It’s great to have someone who has been through it all before and willing to help guide you along your way. Sasha offers some amazing courses that will help get you up and running. Be sure to check out everything she has to offer including her amazing free resources.
- Megan from Love. Family. Health. – Megan is the Pinterest guru! Anything Pinterest you need to know she is sure to have it up on her blog. Megan also has a facebook group called Pinterest Ninjas. Check out her blog to find out about courses and workshops. Don’t forget to look for her book too!
- Cate from Sweet & Simple Life– I first found Cate on Facebook through her group Becoming a Blogger and soon found she had so much advice on how to make a blog more than just a hobby. Her blog is full of great tips and courses to help you monetize and get your blog out there. I still have much to learn from her. Cate is full of business knowledge and has posts for many individual niches to help you figure out your future monetization plans.
- Lisa from Farmhouse on Boone– Lisa has been a huge inspiration to me and what I wanted to be able to do with my blog. She is all about Farmhouse decor and has a love for cooking and sewing, therefore I feel comfortable blogging about a bit more DIY elements in my blog. You will fall in love with her blog if you haven’t already! I’m not sure I ever would have thought of starting a blog if it wasn’t for reading hers. She has opened many doors for future bloggers in our niche so thank you for your inspiration Lisa! You can also follow Lisa on facebook too!
- Sydney from The Optimistic Amateur– I met Sydney on facebook and we started talking and really hit it off. This girl has so much motivation and drive. She started an amazing facebook group for DIY bloggers once she seen there was a lack of specific groups for this niche to find support from fellow DIY bloggers. Thanks to Sydney I have met some great people who have inspired me so much. If you are a DIY blogger be sure to join her group. Check out Sydneys blog too, it’s so crisp and professional, love the layout!
- Trina from Redneck Rhapsody– One day I would love to travel the world and Trina does just that. You can find all of her travel adventures over on her blog as well as DIY projects, recipes and more. Her trips are inspiring and I have started to add some locations to my Bucket List. Check out her YouTube Chanel and subscribe so you don’t miss any new videos! Not only is Trina an amazing blogger but she is also a great friend. She is one of the many bloggers I have met on this journey who really makes me feel like part of the blogging family.
- Kerri from Mama Dares to DIY– Recently I shared one of Kerri’s amazing tutorials on my Curb Appeal blog post which was the first time I had ever shared a fellow bloggers tutorial. She was so kind and helpful which has built my confidence to work with other bloggers in the future. Make sure to follow her on Pinterest, she has so many great DIY projects I just know you will love!
- Sarah from Raising Royalty– Sarah shares amazing tips and tricks from homeschooling to cleaning- her blog has so much to offer in ways to get yourself motivated and organized. Not only does she share her insights on everyday life but she also has a great website to help you build your own blog. At XeraSupport you will find she has an immense accumulation of knowledge! If you need help with the technical and design aspect then Sarah is your go to girl!
- Lisa from Fluxing Well– Life is all about change (Flux) and Lisa offers so many great tips on how to go with the flow and new ideas that you will love to try. Her blog has a little bit of everything and is very inspirational. Her blog gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. Lisa is a genuine, supportive blogger. Be sure to follow her on facebook too so you can keep up with all her great finds!
- Talia from Good Morning Chaos- I feel like Talia and I could spend hours together with our cutting machines creating beautiful things. Over on her blog she will teach you all about how to use a Cricut. She has great tutorials that will help you find the best deals and also the knowledge of what you need to craft with a Cricut. Follow her on Pinterest and become inspired!
- Ashley from The Irish Twin’s Momma– I only recently found Ashley but she is such a supportive fellow blogger. Her blog has so much great reading material to offer. If you are looking for a great parenting blog to follow be sure to check out The Irish Twin’s Momma and you can also follow her on facebook! Her blog and page are full of great tips and ideas that you won’t want to miss.
Questions for my Sunshine Blogger Nominees
- What makes you get out of bed every morning?
- What or who has been your biggest inspiration for starting your blogging journey?
- Do you blog full time, side hustle or hobby?
- What have you found most challenging with blogging?
- What is your favourite social media platform that we can follow you on?
- Do you have any secret talents we might not know about you yet?
- How long have you been blogging?
- Was writing always a passion of yours?
- What is the most satisfying feeling you achieve through your blog?
- From your experience what is your best tip/piece of advice for someone starting out new?
- What is your number one must read/have post or course on your blog?
I realize some of you may have been nominated already, if so I would still love to see your answers, perhaps you could drop them in the comments below!
Once again thank you for this nomination! I hope you enjoyed reading today’s post and have found lots of inspiration in the nominees I selected above. It has been so wonderful to read your blogs and feel like a part of this great blogging family community. Keep up the amazing work of spreading Sunshine upon your readers!
Until next time;
The Old Summers Home